Sunday, November 15, 2009

Friends


The sun is coming up and I believe today will actually be sunny! Changes one's whole mood , that little bit of sunshine. Fox-hunting was cancelled for wet ground, but I was going to miss anyway 'cause I am going to Lexington to watch my son's basketball game. Now I don't have to feel torn about leaving my responsibilities as whip.
We had some friends over for dinner last night. Salmon en croute and chocolate mousse for dessert, tho' all the guys wanted the homemade apple pie instead of chocolate. Go figure. I always make an apple pie because then the house smells really good. (This was especially a good idea this time, because we think something has crawled in near the front foundation and died- didn't smell so nice and we can't find it!) Anyway, good friends and good food make up my favorite evening. I like to cook a nice meal and share it, drink enough wine that I am a little buzzed and listen to my friends really talk about their lives. When we stop and really listen to each others lives they are so interesting. One friend is writing a screenplay, another is in the midst of a major house renovation, another just hosted a major dressage "evening" with an expert in the field, one just kayaked for a week in Panama. I love my friends. I missed the couple of friends who couldn't come because of a ongoing fight with cancer in the family.
I guess I am writing about cherishing my friends because that is what really works in my life. I cherish my kids ( but they are starting to leave the nest), I love my husband - he is my best friend and the constant in my life, but my friends are all the interesting, wonderful parts of this world brought close and personal. I get to see the world through their eyes during conversations and that gives me "larger" vision. I see a bigger world. This is not always beautiful, but even in sorrow and pain I feel a connection that brings me close to another soul and that is what life is about. I have a feeling the angels are approaching my friend that had the accident on horseback last week. My heart goes out to his wife, a dear friend, and I call and leave messages on her phone- just to reach out. I can send her my support and friendship through our connection because she has too much to bear right now. Love and prayers, Gwen.

No comments:

Post a Comment