Friday, October 15, 2021

Contemplation....

This is the view I am missing. Missing it in my bones, in my breath, in my soul. I know everyone who has ever been hurt feels the same hole. It is the tough part of healing. I can take pain pills, I can read, watch TV, ask Alexa to find music, but nothing really fills the empty space where my wild child played. 

I am lucky that I can watch my horses a little bit in the fields near the house. With the screen door open I can even yell their name and say " I'm still here". The ears prick for a moment, they look up at the door, then go back to munching hay in the feeder. Maybe they heard me, maybe...  

To while away the time I give them human characters as I watch. My only mare, Polly, is Angelina Jolie. Beautiful, difficult, finnicky, kinda likes to be alone but really wants to be appreciated. Don't push her too hard!  There are two geldings in the side field.  Bull, my daughter's horse, who is the "perfect horse", I call him George Clooney. A gentleman, he would hold the door, pull out your chair, wait patiently for you to be ready. He's perfect. My daughter loves him. His pasture mate, Beau, is young and eager. He reminds me of Kevin Hart, fast-talking, kinda loud and aggressive in a nice way. He wants to please but can't contain his enthusiasm sometimes. He bites everyone like a puppy except Bull, so they live together.  I have three OTTB geldings that are my main foxhunters. One, who I have earlier referred to as Brad Pitt, has gone to be a huntsman's horse in Virginia. He is doing great they say. The other two boys keep each other company close by. Frank is a plain brown package and I call him John Krasinzki. He is rugged handsome, strong and take care of business ( think Jack Ryan). I feel safe with him ( the horse), he never spooks or tries to be difficult. He enjoys his job. Then there is Punch, my tall, gangly goofball. He reminds me of Ryan Gosling, ( mainly in Remember the Titans). I worry he will tangle up his legs sometimes so I don't ask him to jump big fences.  He is honest and willing,  just a little off-balance.

Then there are two retirees in the back field who live with my husband's Quarter horse, Raider. Raider is like Dave Bautista. Big, solid, a guy of few words, a few tattoos and needs to be give directions. You want him on your side. Bob, the old chestnut was my husband's first horse, he is now almost 30, which is very old for a Quarter horse. And he seems alright. A Robert Duvall, been there, done that, a wise man. He is very cool. Last but not least is my retired foxhunter, Red.  I asked my vet if horses get dementia because Red seemed to lose his mind about two years ago. Trembling and spooking at ghosts, he seemed to forget how to be ridden. After being bucked off him when he spooked at a stick I decided he had earned a life of leisure with Bob. I would call him Mel Gibson! Very handsome but he lost his mind and got dangerous. I leave him alone now and am always careful around him!  

These are the things that take up the hours while the leg heals. Let me know who comes to mind when you  give your horse a character!  Watch the Maryland 5-star this weekend on MPT tv - should be awesome.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment