Monday, October 21, 2013

Foxhunting in the Blue Ridge Mountains

I have come down to the Virginia Blue Ridge and Shenandoah Valley to foxhunt for 5 days, and to enjoy the beautiful fall weather. This time of year I have a brief moment when the foals have been weaned, the yearlings sold, the broodmares back in foal and out in the back fields. So I take a short trip to one of the most beautiful places in America, the Blue Ridge Mountains , and visit foxhunting friends I have made over the years and enjoy the hospitality of the Virginian. We hunted Rappahannock yesterday and tho' exquisitely beautiful, it was a blank hunt, probably due to the harvest moon the night before. Hunting lore says that the fox hunt on a full moon and then sleep all the next day which I have found to often be true. Today was a heartbreak blue sky day in the hills and valleys of Culpeper County. Bull Run had a great day and we were in their best country with lots of varied jumps. Heaven on earth for someone like me who is happiest on the back of their horse. I am never tired when hunting. After a glass or two of wine later ,Yes, but I can ride for hours in this countryside.

No comments:

Post a Comment