Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Fall beauty

Fall has a beautiful rhythm on the farm. I get to ride or foxhunt depending on the day and watch Mother Nature at her finest. The "inside" of the forest reappears as the leaves fall and once again I can see thru the trees to the beaver pond or the deer paths. I can imagine new trails that go over fallen logs and access new areas. I sometimes see the fox slip by, hunting mice. As soon as he sees me he races off but it is so wonderful to quietly watch as he hunts, nose down, his full brush with its white tip held high. The current catchy tune is "What Does the Fox Say", and I will tell you he says "Shuush, quiet", as he pads along. The beaver pond has brought the ducks and herons and if I am really stealthy as I approach, I can hear the slap of a beaver's tail as he ducks below the surface. As they drop new trees I have new jumps, so I am starting to enjoy their tree felling endeavors instead of lamenting the mess. Before I would ask the husband to go and move the these obstacles across my trails, now I wait a day and marvel at how quickly the beaver strip the branches, gnaw the trunk into manageable sections and drag them to the beaver dam. If they are too big they stay and I enjoy the new jumps! The rafter of turkeys has grown up and I do not see them race across the fields anymore. I do catch them flying awkwardly into the trees when I ride up on them. I keep my eyes out for the coyote I think has moved in somewhere. I see large prints and scat but I never see it.  I suspect it sees me and watches as I feed and pass by on the Gator which kinda gives me the creeps.
The weanlings are fun to watch as they race each other to the feed buckets, the broodmares are lazy and  the hunters now have the blankets on, so sport some color in the fields. They look like players on different teams, a blue team, a green Rambo team etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment