Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Mongol Derby 2014

I have told some of you my new adventure plans for this August and I have been swamped by all the information about the Derby and well wishes, but for those I missed, here it is:  I am going to ride a 1000km (600 mile!) horse race in Mongolian this summer! Called the Mongol Derby , it recreates Ghengis Khan's first "pony express" mail system. Changing Mongolian ponies every 25 miles , we ride an average of 75 miles a day for 8-10 days. First one in wins! I am really excited and hope to get an actual press release out soon with all the details. I am looking for some financial as well as all the emotional support I can get. In addition to the hefty entry fees and all the expenses to get there etc., part of the commitment to do this is to raise approximately $1000 for the charity Cool Earth, the charity sponsered by The Adventurists , who put on the Derby. Lots more info to follow but wanted to also mention I am planning to write a book about this wild and crazy adventure, so for those who help me do this a signed copy will eventually get to you! You can find out more about the Derby if interested at www.themongolderby.com    I think I may the oldest competitor!. The participant list reads like a Who's Who of the equestrian elite world. I think I need to start running now!

No comments:

Post a Comment