Friday, September 14, 2012

Marlborough Hunt Club book is done...

I have finished the book about Marlborough Hunt Club's first 75 years that I have been working on for almost a year. It was a really interesting, fun project to research the old Tally-Ho's ( our monthly newsletter) and old newspaper clippings etc., to recreate the timeline of our history. Then putting it into a historical event timeline also was the most interesting part. I walked the history of the Club through the events that shaped America over the past 75 years. We were hunting the day of Pearl Harbor and we cancelled hunting after the JFK assassination. It was just little facts that made the stories of our founders come to life. I know where they were when they recounted a good hunting story or a funny episode with friends in the hunt field. They may be gone but they are not forgotten when we can follow in the exact "hoof prints" as we do the same thing that they also loved doing every time we saddle up and cry Tally-Ho! It is a unique sport that has maintained its customs and clothing and way of life for hundreds of year. As I researched I kept coming across a book called "The Bolinvars". It was a story written in early 1900's about a foxhunting dynasty in New Jersey and Virginia. The places were familiar and the desire to follow hounds is as constant today as then. The thrilling chase at the end of that book is why I love fox chasing. The ties to the countryside and the bonds among friends were never better described. I hope I have managed to bring alive some of the history and stories of our earliest members in my book. It is being printed now and the response has been wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment