Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April Showers


April showers are making everything VERY green. I love this color and the smell of spring. The red geraniums are blooming in pots at door, my irises are just about to open, the rose bushes are budding out and since I just had the road re "paved" with brand new "millings" all this intense color is set off my the new black road. I feel like a painter and my farm is the canvas and that feeling will probably last until the next muddy spell! The snow seems like a distant memory and it was only 2 months ago we were buried! I am starting to wait on new foals, the grey mare and her field mate ( aptly named "Case of the Blues"- she is hugely in foal and has a month to go) are about to start coming in at night and the mares with foals at their side can now stay out at night.
The yearlings have started their education and are progressing nicely, even the little evil one.
I am only riding Red now, doing some lessons and the hunter paces. Polly, one of my ex-racehorses, gets to go to Florida for the summer to keep a friend company and benefit from higher education! Kentucky Derby is around the corner, this Saturday, May 1st. "Lookin at Lucky" and "Devil May Care", the only filly in race are my favorites. The big Maryland Hunt Cup was last Saturday and was an awesome race. One horse opened 30 lengths and led almost to the end, just to refuse a fence, perhaps it was next to last jump, out of 22 huge jumps, and he was beat. These fences are huge-I included picture. Definitely separates the "men" from the "boys". I am one of the "boys", looking at these jumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment